Publication of GEES' final reports
In the interest of transparency and open communication, Prime Minister Sophie Wilmès has decided to publish the final reports of the GEES, the Group of Experts in charge of the Exit Strategy. The final reports consist of the 5 final notes and one interim note presented to the Prime Minister and the Inner Cabinet on 14/04/2020, 24/04/2020, 06/05/2020, 13/05/2020, 22/05/2020 and 03/06/2020, i.e. - apart from the interim note - just before each meeting of the National Security Council since the creation of the GEES.
For the record: Prime Minister Sophie Wilmès created the GEES on 6 April with the aim of developing a strategic vision for the period when measures in the fight against the Coronavirus would be phased out. The GEES is composed of eminent experts in their respective fields (see below). They worked in a technical way on the gradual 'opening up' of our country on the basis of their expertise, particularly in the epidemiological, social and economic fields. The GEES' main task was and is to provide analyses and recommendations, possibly supported by dialogue with other academics, economists or related experts.
On the basis of these opinions and many other considerations, the Federal Government, extended to include the ministers-president, has taken decisions by consensus in recent months. The Prime Minister considers it opportune to make the opinions available for review now that today, Monday 8 June, phase 3 of the phase-out plan is entering into force and the worst of the crisis is behind us.
Disclaimer: 'The GEES reports have benefited from numerous fruitful discussions with adacemic colleagues and field experts, public administrations and professional organisations. The GEES wishes to thank all these people for their direct or indirect contributions.'
For your information, the GEES is composed of the following experts:
- Prof. Erika VLIEGHE, Head of the Department of Infectious Diseases at the Antwerp University Hospital and President of the GEES
- Prof. Emmanuel ANDRE, Professor of Clinical Microbiology at the KU Leuven, Physician-Microbiologist at the UZ Leuven and responsible for the coronavirus reference laboratory (UZ Leuven and KU Leuven)
- Mrs. Inge BERNAERTS, legal expert
- Prof. Mathias DEWATRIPONT, Professor of Economics and Co-Director of the i3H Institute at ULB (Université libre de Bruxelles)
- Prof. Marius GILBERT, Principal Investigator NFWO (National Fund for Scientific Research) at the Université libre de Bruxelles (ULB).
- Prof. Niel HENS, Biostatistician at the Universities of Antwerp and Hasselt
- Mrs Céline NIEUWENHUYS, General Secretary FdSS-FdSSB (Fédération des Services Sociaux)
- Mr Johnny THIJS, CEO and chairman of companies such as Electrabel, Recticel and Golazo.
- Prof. Marc VAN RANST, Virologist at KU Leuven
- Mr Pierre WUNSCH, Governor of the National Bank of Belgium and Co-Chairman of ERMG